PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 18:30
Sousa Teuszii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UK Coastguard SAR - Bristow out??

Hippolite,
I know what you mean about the 15 seat config. It does however illustrate the large cabin (for ac size) and more importantly the square cabin which leaves more headroom for rear crew.

As for the hover it is very stable, even on one engine at MTOW in 24 degrees. The transition to the hover however is quite nose up leaving forward viz a bit scant. The machine I flew however had fixed seats and I believe adjustable seats are now available but probably not standard.

Consider also that 90% of SAR is spent training. At present with the 61 there are severe limits on what can be accomplished on calm or hot days and remain safe. Safe single engine hover in a machine such as the 139 will be guaranteed as long as it is out of the hangar.

One point I would also make about the 92 is the distance between the pilots seating position and the side of the cockpit. I think it may be a little too far and cause problems with references in the overhead. Nick, maybe you could tell me the distance from the righthand side of the pilots seat to the right window on the 92 and the 61. It might well be the same and just the CB box in the 61 makes it look smaller.

With regards to the completely different choice of aircraft for the different bases I would assume that the customer has different requirements at each. Does anybody know the tender requirements?