PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 17:00
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UK Coastguard SAR - Bristow out??

Time please Gentlemen!

Lots of differing views of varying validity. Come July '07, the Coastguard crews are going to get two new aircraft types. I doubt the crews had much say in the choice and will not be able to say "No thanks, we want the 61/Wessex/Whirlwind back" or "can we have a 225 instead?". At the end of the day, the crews will have to make the 92 work. If they expect it work the same as their existing mounts, they are misguided. It would be an interesting and exciting project to work on - I just hope for the sake of the British Public that the team can think out side of the 61 rut. And it is going to take time to work out the best way of skinning the cat with the new cab. Only then can a valid jugement be made on the suitability of the 92 for SAR. Sadly for the 225 lovers, it will be even longer before Eurocopter's offering will be proven (or otherwise), and no, the track record of the L2 doesn't count in my book.

I know I have been very pro 61 in the past and Nick has presented photos of some nice cars that were the dog's knob at the time the 61 was introduced to illustrate how things change. Fair comment (although the 747 is still going strong). The 92 and the 139 are going to oust the 61 from UK SAR in 18 months time. Sad but true but it had to happen. I only hope the 92 can give the same level of serviciability and reliability the 61 has over the years.