PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2001, 02:39
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
No, it's not something i already posted, but I had already alluded to the same thread a couple of messages ago - I thought you had read it, sorry

It's just that I'm watching two threads at the same time on the same subject. In the other one there are a lot of experienced pilots giving examples of when they have encountered this phenomenon, which range from the relatively benign to the extreme, such as the last example I gave above. When I say "typical of the mountains", I meant the situation, where windshear will often take you a great deal above your target airspeed very quickly, obviously something to be watched for, but you can't always catch it.

Obviously, one shouldn't fly aircraft to their limits, and none is bulletproof, but my problem with this one is that it isn't repeatable under the same circumstances every time. If it were, you would just avoid it and regard it as a limitation, which it clearly isn't. I still maintain it should have been fixed as part of ongoing product development, while recognising that you can't design everything right first time.

Actually, Lu (or anyone else) wasn't on my mind when I posted - here is yet another quote from the other thread:

"Within the first 50 hrs of flight after my endorsement there I was with fire crew on board headed out for the old day base in Alberta - so very close to max. gross internal. 800' ceiling "zipping" down the siesmic line enroute to day base, spring black bear eating grass on siesmic line, fire fighter wants picture, tight right hand turn at about 110knts., rate of descent approximately 200-250fpm. you do the math on how long it is prior to controlled flight into terrain. Actually it would have been uncontrolled flight into terrain as I experience "servo transparency" - cyclic & collective FROZEN - the only controls left to help reconfigure the disc loading were the pedals - however I was unaware of what was happening and it was only #$%^house luck that I was able to regain control. If I had not the A/C plus 5 people would have been spread over the Alberta jackpine muskeg for a mile and no one would ever have come up with the reason.
It took me until 1997 for a eurocopter test pilot to admit to me in "private" that yes it was a bigger factor than had been anticipated. There are at least 3 fatal's I am aware of where it is my belief that "jack stall" was involved.
My advice - for what it is worth - enjoy the A/C but learn your product well, be careful of: subject discussed, vortex state ring, Hyd. failures and although a nimble and responsive A/c is should be flown more like a medium. If you have a penchant for being a cowboy - leave the boots and spurs at home on this one. This is not meant to frighten, however knowledge is one of the gateways to professionalism. Have a awesome season."

Phil