PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 2
Thread: MANCHESTER - 2
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 11:04
Porky Speedpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA and Manchester

I need to try and add some balance to this debate following Railgun's assertion. As a Mancunian who has worked at MAN, LHR and LGW and a regular traveller through all 3 airports I do feel qualified to comment...
Even prior to T5, with the exception of Pier 3 the terminal facilities offered at LHR to all BA passengers range from very good to excellent - how long since you have been airside in LHR T1 International? The Premium lounges have had huge investment and are unrecognisable from previous years. LGW NT is now almost 20 years old but still looks fresher, more spacious and more appealing than any of the MAN terminals including T3 which is much newer.
You say that BA prefers to fly its passengers through LHR - this Sunday it offers a total capacity of 965 seats, effectively unchanged since the days of 10 x 99 seat BAC1-11s 25 years or more ago when there was also a full range of European 2 class services so I do not buy the "diversion over London" argument. Finally consider which of the airlines serving MAN makes the most money for its owners (which includes me!). If that is its business judgement, it is fine by me (and them!).