PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Modular Course
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2006, 15:01
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I think you answered the question yourself, you'll have to get a job and work for a few years to fund some of the training. Once you have had a few years in industry you'll build up the credit rating to obtain the loans for completion of training.
Remember you can do a ppl at weekends, then ATPL theory by distance learning while still remaining in employment.
You imply that you are a graduate, therefore if you have done a decent degree you should be able to get a job that in three years could raise the money to do a PPL and the ATPL theory.
Then you should only need to give up work and take a loan out for the CPL, ME IR (which can be completed in three to four months). With a good credit rating you should be able to get a personal loan with a three month deferment on the payments. Consequently, if you have a few years experience in industry it will give you a job to go back to after the training to pay back the loans/ raise the money for an instructors rating.
In a nutshell that is how I funded the training.

With correct planning you could in three years have a frozen ATPL and only about 20000, pounds of debt via the modular route.

Getting a large loan doing an integrated course; if you are one of the lucky ones you may get a job at low hours, otherwise you will have a 65000 debt, no work experience; you will be trying to pay back a 65000 loan on minimum wage. Normally banks backing integrated courses may offer the loan with a 7-10 year pay back period, calculate the interest charge in this time and you will see that it is significantly more than the 65000 you initially needed to borrow.

Last edited by portsharbourflyer; 26th Mar 2006 at 16:23.