PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pulling a Stop to Runway Overruns
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 11:36
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UNCTUOUS
MFS - I'll Try and Simplify it for you

I hope that you will be able to see that to be a fact......
But I have absolutely nil faith that you will......
That's very 'generous' of you.

Please actually READ what I wrote, and work out the moment balance about main, nose and tail with and without download. It's not rocket science, it's not even 'flight' science.

You will find that ANY download at the tail MUST produce a LARGER downforce at the maingear and a corresponding, proportionate, DECREASE at the nose. That is weight transference.

to address the racing car analogy

You may have noticed that F1 and similar cars, which do use aerodynamic downforce, have both FORWARD and REAR spoilers, all of which are intended to produce downforce. The ideal is to achieve an aerodynamic downforce distribution, courtesy of this feature AND of the car body design, which is proportionate to the existing weight distribution, as that means that the handling is more consistent. Very few aircraft have the luxury of a 'front tail' analogous to the F1 front spoilers.

Also, those vehicles with large rear spoilers alone are often using them to counteract the large aerodynamic lift being exerted on the back of the vehicle (in a typical 'saloon car' configuration) rather than to generate 'extra' downforce; they're just trying to keep the back wheels on the ground.

It is highly amusing that the 'backstick lobby' bandies around accusations of closed-mindedness, yet refuses to even do any even mildly dissenting view the courtesy of considering its points.

Last edited by Mad (Flt) Scientist; 23rd Mar 2006 at 11:53.