PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The J vs K Thread. Pacifists keep out.
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2006, 09:48
propulike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All new aircraft have had problems (a similar turbine problem occured to the K as well as it happens, the reason for 985 cruise instead of 1010. Nothing like history repeating itself is there!). The C-17 though had been operating for a number of years with the USAF before we ever though of affording a couple of them, so many of the teething problems had been cured through them. The J's servicability is now pretty d*mned good, especialy since the Eng lines were split again.

So will the J have to have any structural changes before the clearances come through, or is it going to be the same aircraft just allowed to do its job? We all know the answer. The problem (in the majority) isn't the aircraft, it's the clearance process. Every operational clearance we got in the early days was awarded retrospectively! If it hadn't been for Afg and Iraq the aircraft would probably still not be cleared to carry DAC! (Probably...)

I've said it before. I've flown them both and the J is more capable. But - at 6 years old, the J is now 15% of its way through an optimistic 40 year service life! How much longer do we have to wait?

(Not long for 3 crews from 70Sqn I hear )