PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 13:02
Thermal Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demandpump
I'm starting this thread for Singaporeans who had, for some reason or other, pursued and completed their own CPL training overseas. Where are you guys and gals now? Have you all managed to find a flying job at all?
Most have, but with varying degrees of frustration. I know people who have done their own CPL, get in, and get chopped. Try to network your way into SFC, there are a few there now, re-doing some or all of their ATPL.

Is there any hope for a local Singaporean CPL/ATPL holder with low hours to join budget carriers like Tiger, Valuair or Jetstar Asia?
No. Minimum time is about 1500TT jet hours.

I'm asking this because here in the little red dot, besides SQ and the air force, the aviation scene is as good as dead. People who aren't successful in joining SQ or the air force (like me) can pretty much kiss bye bye to their aviation dreams. Its a sad fact.

I'm interested to train for a CPL, but I know the chances of finding a job upon return is close to zero. And that's what's stopping me.

Any feedback from Singaporeans or otherwise, currently training for a CPL or who have already attained a CPL, would be appreciated. Thanks.
You know the odds, that's a good starting point. The cheapest option is to improve your chances of being selected as a cadet pilot. Personality is the biggest attribute, not too much you can do there if they interviewers don't feel that you have the x-factor. If you meet all the hard requirements (educational specs etc), you can also "buy" some credibility by doing a PPL in Johor, as some cadets have done to demonstrate "passion".

The race at this point for you, is really not about doing an ATPL and getting selected by SQ/MI/SinCargo. It is about being selected as a cadet pilot. Just like if you and your mates face a tiger in the jungle - you don't have to outrun the tiger, just your mates.

There is much information on this part of the forum about that. Do some reading.