PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC's
Thread: ASIC's
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2006, 14:34
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I should make myself a bit clearer.

If you have an "AUS" ASIC, or an Avid and ASIC there should be no problem.

It's not just pilots who need em and as far as I can tell there are more groundies ATCers, engineers and so on than pilots, altogether it is a massive task, just on the numbers.

There are lots of grey areas stilll being uncovered, but they will be, and appropriate fixes applied.

Perhaps if the @#(*%& pollies had consulted with the affected bodies before the knee-jerk reaction to Sep11 then we wouldn't now be going through all this crap and delay and uncertainty and very belated consultations now.
that would be a very neat answer, but I suspect wouldn't have changed the outcome one little bit.

They probably did, but NOBODY had any idea it would open a Pandoras box.

I know from the initial starting point everyone was confident that it would be a relatively straightforward exercise, but it wasn't until they got right into the intial planning and followed with the consultation phase that the magnitude of the issue was revealed to everybody. Back to the drawing board.

Wheeler was able to provide the basic framework and reveal more issues from their experience.

I recall having made arrangements, which were ultimately pushed way back, for them to come and brief our group on the process that we believed was all but complete, but that iteration was subjected to further modification on issues revealed by us and others and that was last year.

Even today several important but fairly simply fixed issues not previously considered, just bubbled to the surface as part of the discussion.

Just give em a break, the Act is not negotiable, the regs and the means of implementing it are still being defined and refined.

The Pollies set policy, the soldiers have got to work out how to do it.

The only way you'll change it is to change the Govrnment on it, but I think the opposition is of the same mind and the public aren't listening. And if they do, what are you going to tell them. They already know about politicians and they also know that they, live with a fear they never used to and it's not just terrorism.
What do you do with gangs that swagger round the streets of our cities armed with Samurai swords and all manner of bullsh!t martial art kit. The police wont go near them and I dont blame them, they cant just shoot them, and everybody else keeps out of the way. My 22 year old son 6'4" and built, whose mates are all the same size, simply walk away, we used to take em around the back and give em a hiding, the kids of today know that you dont take a pair of fists to a knife or gunfight.

At the end of the day we live in a far different world than yesterday, we just have to get used to and make the best of it.

I am not privy to the current threat level setting, but you can be certain it wont always be where it is.
I feel much happier getting the groundwork done now, so that we are not, as we often are, on the back foot.