PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling V1 early
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2006, 20:43
john_tullamarine

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
tribo and skiesfull,

Thanks

studi,

One can approach the problem as an exercise in semantics or one of risk control and management.

The flight test world, in this exercise, is one of low surprise, nil startle factor and seeks to put a line in the sand regarding runway environment AFM data.

Real world and simulator study history suggests that the risk (for a accel-stop limiting runway) increases significantly as V1 is approached and exceeded. I have no problem accepting the thesis that a moderately skilled pilot, well trained and prepared for the emergency, will be able to achieve the AFM data in a controlled environment .. however, the real world doesn't replicate the certification controlled environment animal .. so one needs to be a little wary.

Semantics aside, survival is all about being sensitive to risk and risk management ... he who might blindly believe that the aircraft will do this or that might be setting himself up for a bad hair day ...

I know with which view I align.

xetroV,

I rest my philosophical case ....

It is a while since I last reviewed the videos but, if my recollection is correct, my library copies are of the Boeing and Airbus implementations of the FAA initiative.

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 31st Jan 2006 at 20:53.