PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2006, 03:43
Casper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Erebus 25 years on

Thanks for the info, Prospector. I've read more of the report now. I was also unaware of the earlier wx report to the crew indicating whiteout conditions. Such conditions are not included in the following extract from the CVR transcript:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
00:18 MC We have a low overcast in the area at about 2000ft and right now we're having some snow, but visibility is still about 40 miles and if you like I can give you an update on where the cloud areas are around the local area.
FO Yes 901, that would be handy. We'd like to descend and maintain flight level one six zero.
MC Kiwi 901, Mac Centre descend and maintain flight level one six zero.
MC 901, this is the forecaster again. It looks like the clear areas around McMurdo area are at approximately between 75 and 100 miles to the northwest of us but right now over McMurdo we have a pretty extensive low overcast. Over.
00:19 FO Roger, New Zealand 901, thanks.
FE That'll be round about Cape Bird, wouldn't it?
FO Right, right.
FE Got a low overcast over McMurdo.
CA Doesn't sound very promising, does it?
MC Within range of 40 miles of McMurdo we have radar that wil, if you desire, let you down to 1500ft on radar vectors. Over.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I understand that it remains a reported fact that the pilots' homes were entered illegally by persons unknown before the Royal Commission.

In any event, it remains a sad lesson in CFIT.