PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sudafed and Drug Tests
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 23:29
Gerund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sudafed and Drug Tests

Sudafed is not an ingredient of the drug 'speed' (loosely, amphetamine and the phenylethylamines). Sudafed is 'pseudoephedrine hydrochloride' and Sudafed PE is 'phenylephrine hydrochloride'.

However, both pseudoephrine hydrochloride and phenylephrine hydrochloride can give false positives in a test for amphetamine, as can a host of other substances.

Since you mentioned taking it to the testing medic, I see no problem at all.

However, taking it during flying duties is very unlikely to be permitted - and this has little to do with whether an examining doctor thinks it is 'ok'. The taking of any drugs during flying duties tends to be based on 'nothing is permitted' unless it is 'specifically allowed'. This will depend on the regulations for the state of licence issue. Generally, in my experience, pilots take absolutely no notice of the rules relating to the allowability, or otherwise, of the drugs that can, or can't be taken. In all probability because they have no idea of what is allowed and what isn't. Most would be surprised to discover that virtually all are not, regardless of what the annual examining doctor says. I can't find a 'free' copy of the allowable drugs for JAR on the net but the South African regs (which are based on JAR) allow you to take 75mg/d aspirin (yes...1/4 tablet a day!), as a propylactic/anticoagulant...not 3 to get rid of a hangover (that's twelve day's worth)! Paracetamol is NOT permitted during flying. And 'low dose oral contraceptives after a 3 month stabilisation period'..... yes... go on the pill, and you are technically grounded for three months. Just watch how pleased ops will be, finding out you have a new boyfriend. Zantac? I bet some Ppruners are taking that little godsend! No flying within 12 hours mind.

Yes, a lot of old nonsense. And I suggest that is why a list of what is allowed, and not allowed, is not made freely available at the annual medical or at any other time for that matter. Most fleets around the world would be grounded if pilots knew the requirements and decided to be honest.

And do I take Sudafed when flying? Mmmm, don't think I will answer that one!!

Last edited by Gerund; 2nd Jan 2006 at 23:51.