PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper L4 Grasshopper history
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2005, 16:17
BossEyed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, OK, Wunper.
As it happens, I have a book called "Lightplanes at War (US Liaison aircraft in Europe, 1942-1947)" by Ken Wakefield which may help narrow things down a little. Available from Amazon, and recommended. As well as USAAF aircraft, it has an Appendix on Free French Army Units operating US Liaison aircraft (no serials, though) and some notes on how many of the 1,203 L-4s for which Wakefield found records (407) known to have been declared surplus in Europe went to France; 56. He goes on to say, though:
In fact, however, the French allocation was much higher, for they included some of the 796 L-4s whose record cards show only 'diverted to unknown'. Precisely how many went to France remains a mystery, but rumour has it that many of them were bulldozed into the ground, on the instructions of a French government minister to protect the country's post war light aircraft industry.
If you can quote any info you do have either here or in PM, I'm happy to look deeper into the book to see if it can help further.

Alternatively, asking on this forum (Flypast magazine) as well may come up with some clues.

Later: Found this as well - Piper Cub Internet Forum Maybe some useful info on there; I've not looked in depth.

Last edited by BossEyed; 23rd Dec 2005 at 16:28.