PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowrance 2000 GPS
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 14:38
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was buying a new GPS I'd look at the Avmap

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/avmap_e....item_id.2255/

Pretty amazing and much better for situational awareness than the usual aviation units.

This GPS represents a real break with the past. I guess it is based on the pocket/PC operating system but that's probably hidden from the user.

The big question is whether it can accept the Jeppesen VFR Raster Charts database. That would be the key final step to producing a really good VFR GPS. If it does then you will get the proper VFR charts, with all the proper controlled airspace depictions. This functionality can be obtained with a tablet PC running FliteMap and the raster charts on that, or with Oziexplorer on a tablet or a PDA, but the Avmap is a much neater package than anything running Windoze.

This unit would either lie on one's kneeboard, or be strapped to one's leg. When I used to rent, I used a Skymap 2 strapped to my leg and found that very much better than any of the Garmin-shaped units.

I've noticed one can buy it for MUCH less on Ebay, but with the American database. Probably partly because VFR digital charts are free in the USA so Jeppesen don't have the data users over the barrel when it comes to licensing costs, they way they have in Europe.