PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2005, 16:40
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anjouan,

You're right, the Caverton Dauphin doesn't have sliding doors, but I hear that they have to return it to Portugal soon (wonder if Heliportugal will find it easy to sell on or re-register after it's been on the 5N- register?). Rumour is that it will be replaced by another one which does have a sliding door, so maybe the wording on their website is some months in advance of reality - as with the shuttle. Must be expensive having to ferry aircraft up and down every few months like that and it obviously won't benefit their cashflow.

Tokunbo, I agree that Heliportugal are probably trying to use Caverton to get into the african market via the backdoor, but from what I hear of Caverton management the're unikely to alolow that to happen. You also have to take into account that Heliportugal really know nothing of the African market, and they're a pretty small company owned by another rich guy who thinks he knows all about aviation because he can fly a helicopter. The money to be made in helicopter aviation in Africa is from the offshore oil companies and Heliportugal has absolutely no experience of this, they just have a couple of flights reporting traffic, do some charter work, a bit of powerline survey and insulator cleaning, and get in a lot of part-time guys to do firefighting for them in the summer. I can't see it coming to anything long-term, but I wait for the facts to prove me wrong