PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 26th Nov 2000, 20:14
430 driver

Thumbs down

I'm not a big robbie fan for the following reason. After leaving the military in 1992 I decided to obtain my helicopter CFI at a Pt 141 school in California. Admittedly, after flying 53s, 60s and 206s, the robbie seemed pretty 'rinky-dink' Still, I respected it's role as a trainer and believe it's an airframe that has served this role reasonably well. Several days prior to my CFI check, I was practicing a stuck left pedal - holding in full left pedal to simulate the manuever. Just prior to touchdown, the pedal snapped off at the weld. After our initial shock, my instructor safely landed the aircraft for me. A few days later I successfully completed my checkride in another aircraft - but the experience certainly reinforced my concerns about the aircraft. I did ask their lead mechanic to fill out a critical malfunction report as it seemed to meet the criteria for such a report. Whether he followed through - I have no idea.