PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 22nd Nov 2000, 05:46
YouWillSee

Exclamation

To Try_Cyclic:

I totally agree with you. Dissymmtry of lift is the main raeson for the right cyclic input in forward flight. In relatively slow flight the teetering hinge (and to Lu NOT the flapping hinge, because there is none, there is one teetering hinge and two coning hinges!) takes care of that problem. In faster flight the pilot has to add to that by applying right cyclic to achieve forward flight.

To Lu:

I don't know, if you've ever seen an R22 from inside, but they even have a right trim knob, which will put the cyclic in a right-of-center position using a spring. Do you really think, even with Frank Robinson as the DER at the time, they could have gotten it certified with a device to correct for that right cyclic input, if it would not have been within limits. By the way, how can you just say, don't trust your textbooks?! That's what a lot of pilots tried to tell you in that forum, theory is one thing, flying the machine another one. To my aerodynamical understanding, Kyrilian showed a good point, you just overruled by saying, don't trust the books. Either trust them or don't, but don't change your mind just to hold up your point.

I'm no physicist, but i'm a pilot and that shows me that the R22 and the R44 are good helicopters, what Lu by the way admitted. They have different rotor head design, which works just fine even when the pilot violates the restrictions on a regular basis (cattle mustering, photo flights...), this is proven every day. Those 31 or 32 accidents, Lu keeps refering to never got blamed on the rotor head, guess why, because it had nothing to do with it! Same flight, same pilots, same situation in a 206, UH1... would have ended up in the same mess. That's the simple disadvantage of any two bladed semi-rigid rotor system. And i keep repeating myself, but just because there is a limitation on sideslipping, doesn't mean it can't be demonstrated. Like i said, the R22 is limited to 102kts IAS, it will go faster and don't break...

Finally i agree with Lu in one point, we are all waiting for FR response...what takes so long???

[This message has been edited by YouWillSee (edited 22 November 2000).]