PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in the region (Merged ad nauseam)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2005, 21:25
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In general, Dimiair, airlines will value you according to what you cost them, and how you value yourself.

IMO, the main reason pilot salaries are so low now compared to, say, 10-20 years ago is that pilots have been busily undercutting each other in the effort to find a job.

Let's face it - we're pilots because we love it. But airlines are now exploiting that, and us, to their own benefit. The tide is turning, however, and I strongly suggest that you go with it. Paying for training, for type ratings etc. is, I think, on the way out. Airlines are beginning to realise that they need to recruit the best people, not those most able to pay for training.

You need to take a reality check. Firstly, there are a lot of pilots out there younger than you and more experienced than you. That is what people are going to look at first. At your age, you are unlikely to find your way into a command of a piece of sexy, heavy machinery. You need to be prepared for meeting a lot of disappointments along the way. I think you need to lower your sights considerably.

If you want to fly in the Carib/LatAm region, you will find no shortage of people willing to steal the shirt off your back and then sell it back to you. They don't need any encouragement from you to do so.

I strongly suggest, without wishing to sound (or be) insulting, that you don't make a prostitute of yourself. Go for it, but don't ever sell yourself (or your colleagues) cheaply.