PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB on FedEx DC-10.
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2005, 16:51
Willit Run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I don't get is the fact that the MD-10 and the MD-11 are two completely different airframes. The MD-10 is a glorified DC-10 cockpit. I would like some clarification on this, but I think the cockpit layout is the only difference. every thing else about the airframe is different. In days past, we were able to be qualified on 2 or 3 different planes simultaniously, but those days are gone, and for good reason I think. I hated keeping my BMEP's different from EPR's and I could never find those damn mixture levers on the DC-8.

I landed that day in Memphis,45 minutes prior and I chose the east west runway to land on because it favored the winds a lot more than the north/south runways even though it was considerably shorter.

I know most of us want to work for a company that will give their pilots extra training if they need it. We would all like to be able to go to the sim without fearing for our job. I think FEDEX is that kind of company. But, how far should the company go? When is enough enough? Its a tough position, and monday morning quarterbacking sure is easy!

Huck made some good points. The crew and jumpseaters had everything going against them that day. It was the worst possible scenario for egress except for haveing no way out.