PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2005, 06:22
Banjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Selfish

Not used lightspeed, friend did and they fell apart on him so never bothered to try them. But here is my take on a couple of types I have used.

Firstly i have to point out that people have different size and shape heads and so you must obviously try each headset yourself in order to find the most comfortable. What is great for one may be ghastly for another

Do try the headsets with and without glases on as some have bad seals when glasses/sunglasses are worn and can go a long way to reducing any ANR gains. Do try the headsets for a realistic period of time. It is no good sticking it on your head for 5 mins in the store then wondering why after 2 hours in the air it is really starting to crush your head.

I have flown a Gazelle helicopter for 3 years with Bose-X installed and found them good though with a few problems. The headbands are not the most comfortable for me and the female passangers hate the way they keep pulling their hair out when removing the headsets(that folding hinge in the middle of the band).

The volume controls could do with working on. These were panel powered but when I have used the battery powered version found the construction of the battery box and controls again could have been improved.

I have also spent a fair amount of time flying a Jet Ranger fitted with the Telex 50 D's. Firstly they are very large & purple! (though they now do come in black and grey)

After using them for a week I had completely forgotten the size of them,still smaller than a helmet, and found them to be very comfortable both with and without glasses. They have larger ear pads and I don't notice the noise level increase when glasses are worn as I do when using the Bose-X, probably due to the larger padding.

I was also told by other pilots that my transmissions were much clearer from the Telex 50's mic. The battery box though is quite large (better build) and I am fortunate in the Jet Ranger to have a spot between the seats to clip it out of the way. Should the battery run down, (though they do have a powers saver facility should you forget and leave them on), they still work very well unlike the bose X that are not really useable when the battery runs flat.

At the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice and it is a personal one that will vary from pilot to pilot. Given the choice I would prefer the Telex 50's overall but either will be better than a standard set of ear warmers.

Buy a pair of each from one of the suppliers. Check the returns policy first !!!! try them both for a week to ten days and then send back the one you don't want. The 50's only come in straight cord but we had them changed to coiled, plenty of places wil do this for you.

Good luck and hope whatever you get works out for you.

P.S. check all your warning horns stall etc. and audible alerts if you use them on the GPS are still heard with the headset on and working as some of these sounds have been known to be masked by ANR. One sadly contributing to a fatal fixed wing accident.