PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final ATSB report released on QLD Oct03 crash, 3 fatalities
Old 15th Mar 2005, 00:06
SASless

Received 509 Likes on 211 Posts
Am I alone in feeling someone needs to be in jail over this?

So many questions arise as to why that crew could not have done a lot of other things than what they did.

One quick look at the map shows they could have followed the road....granted it may have been awfully dark there as well but maybe some traffic or surface lights would have been visible and the overwater leg would have been just a few short minutes instead of almost 30 minutes. That one change alone could have saved their lives.

Why ever on this earth was a non-instrument rated, current, and proficient pilot flying that trip? Why was he assigned to that base knowing he might be exposed to such a trip? Why did he not refuse to go? Why did his bosses not find themselves in jail for allowing that to happen?

Any of you folks in Oz want to explain to the rest of us why this is a proper way of doing business down there?

Reading the accident report ruined a good dinner.

If this is typical of the EMS business in Oz....we in the USA do not have a problem compared to down under.

I can hear a guy named Denny saying...."Ah, but it is not IFR, the weather is VMC." Explaining why his outift's Bell 212's did not need SAS(STAB) to fly night offshore. That attitude impressed me enough to create my room name. Similar attitude down under it seems.