PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin ‘Happy Hour’ Innovation – Fares from $1
Old 19th Jan 2005, 07:06
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel

Well Pete, I'm not in either camp, but rather, an "outside spectator" watching bemusedly from the sidelines.
Please explain precisely what this statement of your's means, and how you justify it.
Market forces are always going to ensure QF's dominance in this region.
Or was it just a jingoistic, sounds good one-liner you thought you'd throw in?

QANTAS is battling more than just Virgin Blue (and vice versa), so when you say, " it's all part of a long term plan to sure [sic] up QF's position in the region", are you insinuating that Dixon is willing to sacrifice "Jetconnect, Jetstar etc" to protect the mother company?
I don't see how QF can be "shoring up their position" with those companies you mention - Jet* and Jet Connect - because those companies now fly routes that were once flown by mainline aircraft ie. they operate INSTEAD of QF (aircraft & crews), not in ADDITION to.

From the info I have, Pacific Blue's loads are quite good, with another 7 aircraft being added to their fleet later this year, I believe.

SQ seems to be giving QF more of a run for their money than Dicko counted on, both in Oz, with SQ's stated intention of flying to the USA from Australia, and also in Singapore.
But perhaps the BIGGEST threat to QANTAS is Dixon himself, with the internal staff unrest he is creating, and the backlash(es) and turmoil that will result.