PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 11:14
sean377

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto that Jim. Having been a [frustrated] member for a few years, about 12 years ago when I learned to fly, I eventually grew tired of the aeroclubs [mis]endeavours (as I perceived it), and drifted off to a private group on the airfield. My membership lapsed and I saw no reason to re-new it. Even the social side took a nosedive, not too long after Renee passed away and Beryl was relieved of her duties, so no point being a member for that reason either (I do confess to 'sneaking' in for a few pints (with a member) once or twice).

I echo the comments about the clubs honourable staff, in particular John Corlett, without whom I feel the club would have struggled as long as it has. Plus a mention to the honourable members who tried hard to 'crack' the committee. Personally, I thought they were wasting their time - as they were it seems. This is not a criticism of them, just my own thoughts. If yer face fits....

I have made T. Banks aware of this thread, although I'm not sure of his [expected] contribution. As far as I know, he was one of the many instructors at that time, hour building towards his CPL. Nothing to do with the committee. I hope to see him tomorrow and will no doubt discuss this topic with him.

Finally, as treasurer of our private group, I would add that Mr Parkins overhaul of landing charges would have had little impact on the aeroclubs current predicament, IF the club had of passed on the landing fees it collected from its students and members. Having said that, the earlier suggestion that the Airport Authorities let the account go unpaid for so long does make one wonder about their ultimate intentions. And if that is the case, what hope for any future organisation? And before I get flamed, the end of GA at EGNT, including an aeroclub of whatever form, is not what I would ever wish to happen.

Sean