PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 13th Dec 2004, 16:17
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
BYMONEK,
I know that all looks grim for the Bus FO community in Ek at the moment, but I think this wishing all Capts to leave so you can get an upgrade a most desperate effort.

Nick,
EK is just another job. If you are living somewhere you are not too keen of, for a company that is causing hair loss, then the lifestyle change may be worth it. But if you want the job to fund your lifestyle (both now and in the future), you may be a bit disapointed. But you will never know unless you come on over and see for yourself.
If you come expecting to save nothing as an FO (if you have a couple of kids at school) and happy for profit share to pay the credit card bills. And understand that time in the right hand seat may be extended from what it is now. And that you may well see DECs come on in during that time. And thats OK, EK should be no problem.
You will start to save as a Capt as you will get more overtime than you thought ever possible (but less than what you would have made last month due to recent pay cut), and very little time off to spend the extra cash.
As has been stated before, the cost of moving home with family once here is pretty steep. So once you are here you will be locked in for quite some time. It is even harder to break ties once kids get to high school etc! If you are single, or kids are young, this is not really such a factor I guess.
There are a lot of positive things as well....great route network, new(ish) aeroplanes and a great bunch of fellas to go to work with.
Good luck with your decision.
Don