PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2004, 06:42
robroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-CMY C-336

Apinun Torres,

C336, VH-CMY was converted to a swing rear engine at Rex Aviation, Bankstown. The conversion cost was paid by Ansett.
Whether that was ATI or Ansett MAL, I don't know.

All I know is , that the overtime pay I received doing the Mod. , paid for my entire CPL flying training. From memory it took us about 4 months.

I and 2 other engineers were assigned to the Mod. by Mr. Dave Irons, the Boss of REX at the time. We would work our normal day assembling new Cessna's, 0800 to 1600, then we would go onto overtime to work on CMY. We normally did 4 hours a day/night and come in for 8 hours on the Saturday.

DCA and CESSNA reps. from Wichita were always around checking on progress. From memory, I think Cessna was keen to see if it would be vaible for them to do this ex the factory, as an option.

The latch incident, there were more than one latch, the incident was caused by an incorrect closing of the engine/ latch , sequence, which allowed 1 latch to become free. The swing engine was operated for some time as I found out when I arrived in PNG.

Yes ,the 336 is at OOL, I saw an Ad in the C Mail ,seeking the owner about a year ago, re unpaid parking fees, or something like.

Will be down in that neck of the woods on Wed 8th, will have a look for it and report back.

Apinun wantoks,

robroy

Stand by for, The Ode to Mendi.

I am a slow, 2 finger typer, might take me around an hour.

Apinun

robroy