PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2004, 05:11
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your continuing defence of the undefencable - that Air New Zealand management KNEW that THEY would be viewed as the primary causal factor, as proven by their many and various underhanded tactics - has me wondering why you doggedly persist in trying to shift the blame AWAY from them, prospector.
Your posts indicate a good knowledge of the reports written about this accident, but very little PRACTICAL aviation operational knowledge, from a pilot's point of view.
Your comment, "I still can't see very much at the moment-- as soon as I see something that gives me a clue as to where we are I'll let you know"

That statement descending between 10000ft and 6000ft.
" indicates your inability, or unwillingness to concede that Capt Collins was in VMC conditions - the "I can't see very much at the moment", indicates to me that due to the flat, icy, featureless terrain, he was merely commenting that he couldn't see any positively identifiable landmarks to confirm their position - however he could see that they had terrain clearance, and (mistakenly) knew that as long as the aircraft continued tracking on the Company supplied flight plan route, they would remain well clear of high ground.
Obviously, had whiteout conditions not existed, the crew would have seen the mountain, and their proximity to it.

Just to clarify some previous comments of some contributors - the crew didn't THINK that they were visual - they WERE visual, prior to encountering the whiteout phenomenom.

I give Desert Dingo's account 2 thumbs up for a well-written, well thought out expose