PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2004, 09:01
Vampire 91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erebus revisited

It's interesting to note the level of angst that still exists regarding this accident and its aftermath. I recall watching TV that night when the program was interrupted by an announcement, and a still photo of an ANZ DC10, that an ANZ DC10 was overdue on a flight to the Antarctic and there was no possibility that the aircraft was still airborne. Chilling news. The following day I was on an ANZ domestic flight where, according to a friend on the crew, some passengers requested 'no ice in the drink today' as if it was some sort of joke.

Like many others I had some association with people on board the aircraft. I played a bit of rugby with Brick Lucas (I think that he was a nav prior to retraining as a pilot in the RNZAF), and a former school mate was a passenger on the flight. Some years later I was a passenger on an ANZ flight which had Judge Mahon on board. It was interesting to observe the warmth with which he was received by the crew.

It would provide some satisfaction to believe that the lessons learned from this accident have been incorporated into aircraft operations and investigation processes. Sadly, CFIT remains a major cause of accidents.