PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview stuff
Thread: Interview stuff
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2004, 19:58
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a rule I do not post on threads that mention my course for obvious reasons, but I think perhaps that a little clarity may be needed here on this thread.

Penny is someone whom I personally hold in the highest esteem having known her for several years (including before her course whilst training together at OATS) and indeed having experienced her interview training. I also have experience of what is on offer from AOT and Oxford in this field.

Could I point out here that my course is NOT a carbon copy of Penny's course; it is completely different, as it is to the AOT and Oxford courses, indeed I teach some things which are opposite to both AOT and Oxford, especially in regard to CVs.

If Penny has not changed what she does since I experienced it, then it is purely interview technique. As far as I am aware she will only accept a client who has an interview date lined up with an airline/ sponsorship selection. She then takes the individual through her interview technique and does an extremely good job of preparing them for the interview.

What my course offers is very different. My course takes individuals through the whole airline selection process; I have named it the 'Airline Selection Preparation Course' to clarify this. The course is open to all who want an insight into the whole process, not just the interview. I saw a gap in the market for this kind of training and designed my course to fill it. Why? Because to get an interview with many airlines you need to have jumped through several hoops already, including filling out an application form/ sending a CV, sitting psychometric tests (including verbal, numerical, diagrammatical and spatial reasoning and a personality profile). If you are not successful at these then you don't even get to the interview stage. There are many pilots out there with no commercial experience and those who are trying to 'step up' to a better job who have little or no experience of these in-depth selection procedures. Many have little idea of how to construct a half-decent aviation CV.

My course looks at how to be successful from first contact with an airline (through the CVand cover letter) all the way through the above mentioned tests and interview. I do not do in-depth one-on-one interview technique, rather I teach a framework for the individual to build on themselves, with ongoing support available after the course to answer any issues and questions that arise during this process of 'self preparation'. I also review CVs and cover letters before the course for presentation on the day and provide a feedback service after the course with background knowledge on individual airlines' selection processes.

So I hope this goes some way to explain the differences between what I offer and what Penny offers. They are different services and each will be suited to different individuals.

I will now retire and leave past clients to post their thoughts on the merits or otherwise of the course, as the initial poster requested.

PP