PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR pilots breaking 250kIAS limit OCAS
Old 13th Mar 2001, 22:59
10W

PPRuNe Bashaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

DEFPOTEC

Where it is convenient to do so then I can't disagree with you. In this neck of the woods you'll probably get 'No ATC Speed Restriction' in the first response from Centre for 99% of cases. The 1% is when Raw Data is up ahead in his 146

boxmover

As a general rule there is no speed restriction in Class A airspace, except where this is stated in the AIP, on SID charts for example. But where this exists what you say is valid about cancelling the speed. The restrictions which do exist in Class A are for procedure design purposes and not for the 'See and be seen' principle.

The comment on other types of airspace is not actually correct. In Class B airspace there is no restriction (as per Class A) and in Class C there is only a restriction for VFR aircraft. As we only have Class B above FL245 and no Class C at all in the UK, it's probably academic. We can also cancel the speed restriction in Class D where alternative separation can be provided from 'See and be seen' by ATC or where ATC determine no conflict exists.

What you say IS valid for Class E, F & G. ATC have no mandate to relax speed restrictions in those airspace types.

I also think that breach of the regulations would be a civil offence and not a criminal one, but perhaps JP Justice or Flying Lawyer can advise on that !!

Avalon

I guess you must be fluent in Serbo-Croat then !! A few of the crews flying around here have extremely strong Eastern European accents and seem to think that grunting is an acceptable readback of an ATC instruction. Whilst I may need to 'get a life' for pulling them up for a correct readback, I don't intend to let them jeopardise MY licence and hence livelihood. I have no doubt they can fly the aircraft but I do worry that they don't fully understand the airspace or system in which they are flying. As a result you will find that ATC will tend to simplify what we do with such pilots whereas for those we have confidence in we can probably duck and weave a lot more to aid the efficiency of the flight. Risk management I guess

Having said that, the Irish RYR crews I have met so far all seem like good guys.

AffirmBrest

Less than 500 words eh ?? Oh well bang goes the idea of posting the text of AIC Yellow 291 or ICAO Annex 11 then !!

Smooth Approach

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 10W (edited 13 March 2001).]