PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 18:34
Fancy Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs nailed it, I think !
Airlines should pay for your type rating. Doing the full CPL/IR with the written ATPL's and MCC should really be enough... Ideally! Rare are the other professions for which so much money is invested.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are willing to sell their grandma and their dog to get ahead of the queue, which is very sad.... The argument is that we are in a new "market", that things are different.... Well, they contribute largely to the situation....
Also, I strongly oppose the argument which sometimes appear on the forum which says that paying for a TR is, in a sense, part of your training, a bit like a FI rating, etc....
Here again, a FI rating will give you a job as a FI, full stop. Being a FI is not about your ability to fly (you have already shown you can fly!), but about your ability to teach students.
A TR on the B737 might (and I say, might) give you a job on the B737, but not on any other type. Also, when you see that 200 hour pilots with a TR get a job against a 2000-hour guy who can't afford a TR, this is not normal!
This is all non sense because a TR restricts you more than anything else as someone with a 737 TR will be of no interest to turbo prop operators.... Obviously, you will gain many jet hours, but at the end of the day, all you do is keeping in place a wrong system, a system that exploits people.
Why pay to have your CV read? Obviously, they know there will be people willing to pay the money, so they thrive on it. After the CV, you have to pay for your TR. Here again, they know that there will be people desperate enough to do it. Next, will be paying the uniform, the landing fees.... who knows? Very sad....
So, obviously, a thread on a pilots' forum might not change much, but it might start people thinking... Also, maybe the unions could step in and do something about this situation.
Regards,
FNav