PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 15:05
Firestorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember all the furore about university fees and student loans earlier this year? Did a single pilot put their story forward of the £50k course, no student loan and possibly having to spend another £25k joining fee for his first job? I read the broadsheets most days of the week, and didn't see any, and have to, rather shamefully, admit that I didn't either, but am waiting for the subject to reaar it's head again.

It's not that I believe anyone ows me a living, but I do think that the students need to have their problems put into context.

It's a tough subject, but I won't be forking out for a type rating again (I did pay for a Twin Otter rating 5 years ago, on the promise of a job, which was honored), and definitely not a jet rating: I simply can't afford it. And at my age, I don't want to be paying off loans, but saving into a pension fund.

I challenged BALPA about the Easy Jet scheme/scam once. It took a while to get a reply, and then they said that they were pleased to see an airline expanding and succeeding, and that if the TRSS scheme was amechanic to help thta happen, then BALPA would support it. 1% sub from all those pilots... Cynical, maybe.

We are all free to make our own decisions about our destiny: I think you know mine!