PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ngukkur Chieftan Lands on Darwin Beach
Old 11th Aug 2004, 10:15
U2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So much for multi-engine reliability! A machine is only as safe as it's operator.

What will casa do after this occurrence?

Will we see new regulations, no regulatory action (apart from enforcement) or maybe new management systems?

You know with CASA's new focus on scientific/statistics based approach to safety regulation (problem based regulation rather than theoretically based) one would think that there could be a "new" approach to stopping fuel exhaution/starvation, because it happens so often. I'm not suggesting that this is the cause in this case. However, it is one of the deadly five factors in common crashes.

As an industry we need to come up with "new" idea's on how to prevent fuel starvation/exhaustion for all levels of industry, regardless of compliance standards.

Hasen't some engineer ever invented an emergency fuel system or something?

Actually, I remember seeing an "extra" mixture cable in a M.A.F C206 some months ago. The pilot said the cable; when pulled will allow fuel to flow freely from the tank direct to the injectors. Therefore bypassing fuel selectors, pumps, auxillary pumps etc. I bet M.A.F also has lower insurance premiums on their C206.

What a great idea?

U2