PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REM Guitarist Air Rage Incident
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2001, 19:14
Stiff Lil' Fingers

Thumbs down

It would appear that something a little stronger was being mixed with his 'Orange Crush' on this flight! Can't blame the crew for not being 'Shiny Happy People'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ent...00/1290231.stm

REM guitarist Peter Buck has apologised outside court after being charged with a series of offences relating to an alleged "air rage" incident.

Buck, 44, appeared at UxbridgeMagistrates Court, west London, to face six charges following an incident on a British Airways flight from Seattle to Heathrow on Saturday.

The case was adjourned until 18 June and Buck was granted bail until then.

Outside court, his American lawyer Bertis Downs read out a statement written by Buck, who is joining REM to play a concert in Trafalgar Square,London on Sunday before starting a world tour.

It said: "I am sorry for the incident and of course I am embarrassed about the whole thing. However, I have been advised not to talk about it further.

"I am grateful for the court allowing me to undertake our promotional tour." In court, previous bail conditions - stating that Buck must surrender his passport - were withdrawn at the request of his counsel,Trevor Burke.

Buck faces charges of disobeying a lawful command of the commander of an aircraft on 21 April of being drunk on an aircraft,of damaging British Airways crockery, of using threatening behaviour and of assaulting crew members Mario Agius and Holly Ward.

New bail conditions, which set a surety of
£30,000 - paid for by manager Robert Gold -
ordered Buck not to contact prosecution
witnesses or any member of the flight crew.

Mr Gold said: "Peter will be going back to the hotel now to speak to his family.

"They should have been rehearsing today.
They have missed a day of rehearsal."

He said the other members of the band were
upset by the news, adding: "This is completely out of character."

[Apologies for bad formatting!]q

[This message has been edited by Stiff Lil' Fingers (edited 23 April 2001).]