PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plenty of jobs right around the corner!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2004, 13:04
big_g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you guys have hit on a big issue. I met steve billet during the ctc stage 2 selection day and what he said was almost identical to the article that was posted. What he said about the demographic of pilots may have truth in it, but there is still a lot of trained pilots still looking for work, it might only be when the supply of type rated experienced pilots diminishes will the airlines start using ab initio and low hours pilots as it does cost a considerable amount of money to type rate a pilot and even more to ab initio traing a pilot. This factor of money is also a significant issue as a large number of airlines are still expeiencing challenging financial times , i can understand why airlines are reluctant spending 7 figures on training 10-15 ab inito pilots a year.
I really hope there is an upturn in the demand for pilots, like most of the people here i dream of leaving the office desk for a career as an airline pilot, but i will only be completely convinced that there is a shortage when industry analysts start saying it.

g.