PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet scrap weight limit on hand luggage
Old 5th Jul 2004, 18:03
jonathang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, let's stay in Europe. I have given you comparisons, namely V Bird and Germanwings. I suppose that my negative comment about RYR stemmed not only from their baggage policies, but their entire product and attitude to their customers. Easyjet's not that far behind. If you have no problems with their product that's your choice. I too have a choice and I won't fly RYR because I don't like their product. Incidentally, what do you think would be the financial penalty per ticket with a 20Kg allowance as opposed to 15Kgs? On a B737-800 it must relatively little.
You have the right to your own opinion about Ryanair off course the comment was just unjustified. Why?

The financial penalty would be that the assumed baggage weights would be increased.

If you actually take the real weights of the bags.

15kg, 29kg, 19kg, 5kg, 7kg, 8kg, 19kg etc etc..

And divide them by the number of bags you will find the figure for the average baggage weight comes out at around 11kg-13kg.

You can see this when actual weights are used for some carriers at check-in.

The load sheet is approved for assumed weights because this is far quicker than using real weights of bags.

If you increased the "allowed" weights for baggage you would be required to show an increase in the assumed weights for baggage. On paper work (to satisfy the authority) this means the weight carried in the aircraft would increase this would prevent the airline from carrying other payload where they can make other revenue.

So adding 5kg to the extra passengers allowed weight would be a total of 945kg of extra weight.

That’s a tonne extra which in principal could be used to carry cargo (revenue making), extra passengers (revenue making) and off course cheaper ferry fuel for the return trip.

I have seen Ryanair Flights I have Dispatched where 189 passengers are travelling, 189 bags approx are travelling at the assumed weights and the required fuel because of weather is onboard and there is zero underload at MTOW. i.e. the aircraft has ZERO extra capacity for weight.

Jonathan

Last edited by jonathang; 5th Jul 2004 at 18:30.