PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Selling Emergency Exit Seats
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2004, 02:15
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABP's and emergency exits

ABP: "A phisically and mentally fit person, not old, possibly travelling on their own, ideally a dead-heading cabin crew. Must be over 14 and able to operate an emergency exit in case of an evacuation. Passengers requiring an ESB cannot occupy such seats in any circumstances."
"In case the passenger who has purchased the emergency seat does not fulfil the requirements for the occupation of such seat, they will be relocated to another seat and the fare paid will not be refunded."

This comes from FCA's cabin crew SEP manual and Cabin Services manual.

FCA charge 15£ for an "extra legroom" seat (emergency exit on the short-haul fleet) when the pax books it over the phone they are asked specific questions. The contract they then receive states clearly that if in the opinion of the cabin crew they do not fulfil those specific requirements they will be moved and they won't get a refund.

I, personally, have moved lots of people... Old people or simply people who were chatting and joking during the emergency demonstration or didn't pay any attention to my
ABP specific briefing.
I don't want to be offensive but I take these things very seriously and, having experienced an emergency landing in the past, I am glad that the person sitting in front of me knew what he was doing, was neither drunk, nor so overweight to need an ESB.

You can buy these seats for 15£ OW but I know many airlines (like FCA) offer ABP seats as part of special packages like the wedding one, which also has an upgraded meal and champagne.

I personally disagree with this practice. As much as I disagree with ground agents giving these seats to pregnant women (in need of space) people with young kids (believe me, it happens all the time) or leaving them last, so to be filled by the last people who check-in.

You want an emergency seat? just check-in early and ask for it...and prove you can help me if I need you!!!

Cheers!!!

FBW.

**ten minutes to landing**