PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IOT 211 Cancelled
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2004, 09:40
SOMAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IOT Recourse Sqn

As IOT flt cdr 84-87 (Recourse Sqn 86-87) I can say that the Recourse Sqn format had a great deal to commend it. Several of the recoursees indeed had problems; however, many were recoursed because their flt cdrs on the Main course had not liked the 'cut of their gib'; indeed, one of the best leaders to come through (now doing well in the Tornado world), had been told by his young and inexperienced female flt cdr that his Yorkshire accent just did not sound 'officer-like', an unkind cut, and made even more so by the fact that he came from Lancashire anyway!!

Another cadet, a natural leader and one of the best cadets (including my Sword and Sash winners) I ever saw throughout my 3 years at IOT, had been told by his flt cdr (a Regt officer) that he was too quiet; what a mistake!

Many, indeed most, cadets arrived on the Recouse Sqn with their confidence shattered; the programme was designed to build up their confidence - and not in a PC way - and develop their talents; this it did with great success thereby saving some good officers for the RAF which otherwise we would have been lost.