PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we need to be more restrictive than the USA?
Old 19th Apr 2004, 07:45
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone has to answer, if only to appease those members of the public who have not been following this embarrassing episode in oz aviation. Wrong conclusions could be drawn by the (understandably) vitriolic responses to date. I will also preface my answers with a note to effect; ALL THE ANSWERS HAVE BEEN PROVIDED TO MR. SMITH ON NUMUROUS OCCASIONS, AND EVEN ON THESE FORUMS, OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

But very briefly and simply;
1. There is no reason why 'US' airspace cannot be used safely in Australia. It would require a lot more costs in resourcing the required radar coverage and controller numbers, but it could be done. To simply say "do it like they do it in the US" without providing all of the above, cannot be done.
2. Prior to 27Nov, Australian ATC was rated by Eurocontrol as BEING MORE EFFICIENT AND COST EFFECTIVE THAN THE US. Oz ATCs wear many hats, and move more aeroplanes per controller than their US counterparts. FACT.
3. No. See (2) above
4. We do not have the resources in oz. See (2) above.
5. US controllers look at much tinier pieces of airspace than oz controllers, so their ability to see and seperate on a small scale is greatly improved. This is quite a technical aspect, which those interested in understanding should visit a centre or talk to a controller about.

On a personal note: I hope they take you to the cleaners for your disgraceful slander, Mr. Smith.