PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA-38 Tomahawk Info Required
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2004, 12:47
Charlie Foxtrot India

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
A great little aeroplane to start off training and easy to move onto the PA28s from.

The sloping cowling (which can be opened fully to get a good look at all the gubbins underneath and show students what's under there, how carby heat works etc) means that even in the climb the horizon is clearly visible so you can keep a good lookout and judge airspeed better than when much of the view is obscured by the cowling.

Running costs, well ours cost about $30 an hour to run plus fuel. The o-235-L2C engine has a TBO of 2400 hours with the strengthened pistons and there is a 125 HP mod out there too. The Tomahawks have a lot less down time than the others in the fleet.. Ergonomics are good with levers rather than push-pull knobs that all look and feel very similar.

I prefer the smaller wheels for ground handling though the "Hilux" version is better on dirt strips.

They don't have to be scruffy and creaky if looked after properly, and are easy to refurbish, interior plastics can be bought cheaply ex USA. Now that the wing life mod is available they are not so age limited, and their value is increasing rapidly as a result. They can now be restored to close on good as new. So get one sooner rather than later. There are some good ones around, PM me and I can give you some details.

Cons? getting any Piper parts can be a nightmare at the moment particularly any undercarriage parts. You may have to get them manufactured by someone with PMA. With the small wheels the ground clearance of the prop is only a few inches so need to be taxiied and landed with care. Which all aircraft should be anyway. There are a few ADs so a careful logbook inspection is very important when buying.

And British Ariways used them for cadet training so that's not a bad recommendation.