PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 25th Feb 2004, 07:43
Flingwing207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I can't comment on most of your comparisons cos I don't have any time in Schwiezers I can say that the comments about Robbos having to be treated gently from a mechanical point of view is absolutely incorrect.

If you get see the hammering they get when used for mustering and general station (aka "ranch" to USA'ers) work in the Australian outback you would never think that of a robbie again. Their reliability in rough conditions is why they are the most commonly used helicopter for mustering. If they were breaking down all the time they would get replaced pretty quick with something else because down-time is lost income no matter how cheap the initial aquisistion cost is.
I am in agreement with you - from a mechanical standpoint, as long as the helicopter is only hitting air, the R.22 is excellent - and measurably more reliable than the Schweizer, especially on the little, annoying things.

I was referring to when the ship hits the ground in the hands of an unpolished pilot, over and over again. The Schweizer was built to take that kind of abuse, the Robbie wasn't, nor does it suffer it well. When students are doing full-downs in the R.22, it isn't a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN. That's when down-time pops up - replacing the subframe and tailboom on the R.22 takes awhile.