PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rothmans Aerobatic Team (& Others)
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2004, 12:36
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks,G-KEST, for your reply to my slow roll question. I only drove a Stampe a couple of times, and not in formation. Delightful, and would have liked more.
My contribution to the art of the horizontal PofW feathers was a solo effort during a show for a garden fete down Headcorn way. Having done our initial loop in box, us three would do a vic 3/4 bunt from 45degrees up pushing through to 45 degrees up again inverted, while the box man went and did his individual clever thing before rejoining us on the way down again. Half way through the bunt, I found myself getting rather close to the leader, and each time I did the instinctive thing, easing the stick away from him, I got closer! I'd forgotten it works that way while upside down. Bootful of escape direction rudder, few deep breaths, switching off smoke to make myself invisible, and able to join in again a couple of manoeuvres later. As you say, a bit twitchy at times, and I'm glad it happened there rather than at the Biggin show, or Farnborough, with all the experts watching.
Bit off subject, but thanks for your website link, and glad to hear you are still thrilling the crowds. Used to hear a lot about all that in your Barnstormer days, from Manx.
I saw a Steen Skybolt once when visiting Vivian Bellamy, of fond memory, down at Land End, built from a kit by the local car respray and repair chap; it must have been in 1976/7, and just wonder if it the same one. There can't br too many around.
Happy days; but these aren't bad either!