PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 8th Feb 2004, 00:46
Duke Elegant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duke Elegant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right now I am on a good week ... free from the chemical warfare being exacted on my body and mind. It was hell ..... three down, nine more to go.

BUDWORM

A surealistic experience.

The Budworm Project was one of the most exciting , well paid, dangerous projects one could participate in.

Imagine thirty five TBM Avengers scorching all over New Brunswick operating from camps that at times became cesspools of lies and tales of daring-doo.

We sat around on our bunkbeds in the rain, huddled about the diesel heater .... muddy floors.. warm Moosehead .... and stories.
There were Swiss, Hungarians, South Africans , New Zealanders, Aussies and Americans.
There was this large jolly chap from Montana who wore glasses over his contacts .... and he was the leader of Donkey Team. Ray was famous from last years adventure in that he came to the end of the spray line at Oromocto Lake and went into the steep turn over the glassy lake and boofed a wingtip... ker-****in'-splash he belly's her in.
Ray isn't much of a swimmer so he strikes out for shore.... get away from the plane because the US NAVY says a TBM stays afloat for two minutes...maybe...
Well as the pointer planes circled overhead Ray was seen sinking ....didn't look like he would make it... till his feet touched and he stood up. He was only in four feet of water and the TBM sat there half dry... **** we laughed... Then Bill Demming decided to tell us of his first flight in the TBM.
It's two thousand horsepower you know ... lots of torque on take off..tailwheel up and you get a big swing requiring huge amounts of right boot.

Bill

Weeell ! Ah guess it was mah turn for take off.
I went through the checklist by memory because the last I saw of the checklist it dissapeared into the oily bowells of the big TBM... can't be reached.

The strip was short so I layed the power to her real quick , like, she veered to the left but shoulda stayed straight coz the tailwheel shoulda been locked... ****! shoulda...wasn't.
I reached down and locked the tailwheel but I had to let go the throttle and she bled back now the swing is the other way... shoulda tightened the friction, I guess.
By now I took out a coupla cone markers and with full application of power I was hurtling to the other side of the runway... coupla cones maybe ...it was wild
The end of the strip is coming fast... maybe abort.... maybe go...so I go and lift her off too early and the tail smacks down as she stalled back hard .. through the fence I went.......... THEN I LOST CONTROL OF THE AIRCRAFT!!!!!!!!!! says Bill

**** we laughed......

Many more of those to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

endless

Posted: 2003-04-13 16:40

"then i lost control of the aircraft"

that line is truly priceless.

Zatopec

Posted: 2003-04-13 20:51
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

More, more, more!!!!

Sawmill Broad

Way too funny! More please!

Duke Elegant

Well folks , today I feel normal ....

If there is one point I'd like to make , it's this >>>>

To feel normal is utterly divine.

Even though my hair is three quarters gone and my head is as red as a baboon's arse , I am still prettier than most of you. I also have to blow dry me arseh*le ... tender or what?

The next story is amazing in that there is no cliff hangar ending .... or is there?

Sawmill Broad

To be able to say you're feeling normal at any point during chemo is pretty divine for sure! The hair loss thing/sore head is a drag but I guess if you're prettier than the rest of us.... no worries eh? At least if you're feeling better you'll get busy and write more.....

skybomb

Duke,

These stories are awesome! I laughed, I cried, I generally just ****e my pants. As a student pilot I was told by a good friend to always treat an airplane like a lady so that when you have to ask her for something she will oblige. Someday I will one day graduate to flying whores (who like to do it many different positions). Thank you for the inspiration! And I’ll be in line when you are doing a book signing at chapters!!!

Beaver Driver

Posted: 2003-04-20 03:56
Hey Duke.

I seem to remember way back on this string you mentioned the sound of ten Avengers (20 000 HP) warming up on the ramp being the best sound ever. Well I've never herd that, but 4 CL 215's (16 000 HP) sounds pretty sweet too.