PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 4th Feb 2004, 11:24
Duke Elegant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pigboat

I first went to the Budworm Project in 1975 with Conair.

There were at least a dozen TBM's that came up from the US including SisQ and an outfit out of Missoula Montana. I am not sure if Wheeler was still there then.

There are more stories coming regarding "the Project" some of which are humourous and some dedicated to some fallen aviators.
Before we had the thirty-five or so Avengers , the forest was sprayed with a hundred or more Stearman planes. Can you imagine the stories that were spawned there?

Read on my friend.

The following post by Just Curious is interesting .... he saw the event.

Posted: 2003-01-24 14:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As all this was transpiring, a half dozen air cadets had shown up to start the summer.

As they sat out on a picnic bench beside the hangar, I gave them the flying is inherently safe speech, you know the one: checklists, appropriate clothing, practice of emergency drills until they get routine, and statistically likely nothing will ever go wrong.

It was a beautiful afternoon, the 416 squadron guys were pretty much stood down for the day, and dead quiet. Just as the droning from my speech is about to lull the kids off to sleep, the crash Klaxon starts to wail, the fire trucks roll, and the base rescue guys flash up the helicopter. Big honk'in TBM goes down the runway, still at flying speed seemingly forever... down this two mile long runway, and stops just before the highway (well, paved road, we're talking New Brunswick here!).

Got the kids attention!

The machine sat on the EPA ramp for quite a while. As the season wound down someone from FPL came up and started pulling jugs for the flight out. As it happens, METO power takes quite a bit out of engines that only run six weeks a year. Got a nice ash-tray out of that one. A piston you could stash a dozen big Cubans in.

Subsequently the kids were really aces when it came time for reviewing emergencies, so Duke, 22 years later, thanks for keeping them on their toes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BushDriver

Posted: 2003-01-24 17:44
Duke,

You'll beat this one, just like the last, with a style and dare I say it (a grace) all your own.

Still need you here in CYPE, we'll be waiting for your return.

Our thoughts are with you and the Mrs.

Fight the Good Fight.

Last edited by Duke Elegant; 4th Feb 2004 at 11:41.