PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2023, 18:26
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A Tenuous Link With Drift

I was once more hunting around for scraps under the table involving Bovingdon when my eyes alighted upon this:

Bradford Observer 4 January 1952 (BNA).

Now I remember at the time that my Dad remarked that Capt Carlsen was a very brave Man..........

Northern Daily Mail 28 December 1951 (BNA)

The earliest Newspaper Reports were of this date. The Story was yet break. 'Flying Enterprise' was steaming from Hamburg for The United States. On Christmas Night 1951 she encountered, in the Radio Operator's words, a " severe Hurricane" that caused structural damage and a subsequent cargo shift. The World would watch while events unfolded over the next fortnight.

The Sphere (BNA)

Western Mail 3 January 1952 (BNA)
This appears to be one of the first aerial press photos dating from 2 January 1952.

The Sphere (BNA)

The Sphere (BNA)

'The Flying Enterprise' is under tow by The Admiralty Tug 'Turmoil' with the Destroyer 'USS John Weeks' in attendance.

Yorkshire Observer 5 January 1952 (BNA)

Lancaster ASR3s from St Eval participated. I think probably the Coastal Command Lancasters that came to Bovingdon (Why - proximity to Northwood?) were from St Eval and patrolling over 'The Flying Enterprise' on January 3rd. They would have been from either 203 or 210 Squadrons. I couldn't find a decent snap of a ASR3 from St Eval. This image is from 37 Squadron - not sure of location but probably Malta.

Lancaster GR3s from The School of Maritime Reconnaissance, St Mawgan were very active too. The fate of 'The Flying Enterprise' was too good an opportunity to pass up for a spot of training ! This particular GR3 of the SMR was photographed at Bovingdon and fits into a time frame between 1953 (when C119s came into Italian Air Force Service) and 1956 when the Lancaster was retired from Service.

If it is a poor night for Telly you might enjoy these videos: I think this first one was filmed from an Anson.

This next one is good but doesn't tell what happened after the tow was underway......

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/171687/

This one completes the story.......

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 29th Mar 2023 at 19:48. Reason: correction