PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 707-320C
Thread: Boeing 707-320C
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2023, 23:40
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening Sandringham,

I believe the Godfrey compressors were fitted above the engines and not in the wing root. I only worked on the VC10 as a BOAC apprentice so stand to be corrected. I recall that the compressors were mechanically driven by a shaft from the main engine gearbox.. I believe the air conditioning units were fitted in the wing root. I used to test the Godfrey blowers when working in the BOAC 'component test house' - on one occasion a blower actually blew up on test after the two parts of the compressor touched (there was only a few thou clearance between what we called the mangles) - it was a mess. Only we Brits could design such a thing and actually fit it to a passenger airliner. We also used to test the turbo compressors as fitted to the B707 - a much simpler and more effective design in my opinion. Anyway a bit of thread drift for which I apologise.

Back on thread. As far as turbo compressors fitted to B707 variants - when I worked in the BOAC hangers all B707-436's and 336's had 3 turbo compressors fitted to engines 2,3 and 4 whereas all B707-320's (they were foreign operators) had 2 turbo compressors fitted to engines 2 and 3 only.

Kind regards
Exeng

Last edited by exeng; 18th Mar 2023 at 23:45. Reason: Added detail on where the air conditioning units were fitted