PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 17th Mar 2023, 08:57
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Equivocal
This is the one that worries me - how are airports managed today in a way that tries to make certain an acceptable degree of safety is assured.
This is excatly the first thing that stroke me iwhen reading this Document ( and thanks a lot to WillowRun for sharing it with us) , ICAO SMS has been discused since 25 years and the ICAO Inplementation manual ( Doc 9859) was first published in 2006, 17 years ago, I fulfills SARPs of Annex 1 so a reuirement , EASA hissued guidance implementation material and today most all major Airports and ATC facilities in Europe are using SMS ( but not all , espacially in eth East part of our region)

The other important point is that these recommendations in this FAA text are promoting tools for curing symtoms, but not the root cause of these runway incidents. ASDE , multilateration , ground-ADS. etc..are wonderful tools to catch up errors and prevent collsions , but it is the initial errors we need and have to cprevent in the first place,
Then : "Re-examine runway incursion data to identify underlying factors that led to these incidents and identify remedies" . That is one of the normal tasks the FAA should have been doing for years, Highlighting it today as a recommendation, to re-examine it , meaning it was not yet done or not working , is a bit astonishing I would say

Not mentioning standard phraseology, ( which would definitively help in curing the first errors layer) , is not mentioned , probably because it would be extremely difficult and met with fierce resistance by both pilots and controllers , who have been trained to "expedite" and got accustomised to this slang over the years.to allow these "expeditious operations" Once you allow yourself to expedite too much and go beyong the pre-defined satndard , there is no limit , and you can extend it until reality bite you. Maybe we are getting to that point. .