PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The American Dream; The Europeans can dream!
Old 16th Mar 2023, 00:35
dirk85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AAGpilot
I don’t know if you’re familiar with the US regional airline sector, but the airlines featured in your video above are in fact not AA, DAL, or UAL. Regional airlines fly subcontracted lift for their Major airline partners, and although the livery on the plane might say XYZ, it’s actually a company you never even heard of. Republic, Skywest, Go Jet, Envoy, Air Wisconsin, and the list goes on. These airline have their own operating certificates, employees, planes, training, etc. They also often have contracts to provide lift for multiple Majors at once.

Historically they’ve been able to pay their first year FOs the ridiculously low numbers that are shown in that video. The reason people accepted those jobs was to build turbine time and turbine PIC with the hope of getting to a Major. Today even those regionals now pay their Captains hundreds of thousands of dollars, and bonuses that would make one’s head spin. I believe all FOs now start at around 100k too. Envoy, PSA, and Piedmont (operating for AA as American Eagle) pay their Check Pilots $427/hour now! I know, insane. The pilot shortage is real over here folks.

I am familiar with the regionals in the US, and well aware they are separate entities from the majors. And I am sure they pay hundreds of thousands now. But it has not always been the case. Supply and demand, as usual. In both directions. Let's enjoy now, at least those who can, because who knows what the future holds