PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changes at Old Warden
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2023, 11:37
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 274 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
Dillows (run by one Mary Dillow) was the definitive Biggin cafe, situated on the 'South Camp' alongside the tin hangar and facing across the apron (with its geenhouse mini tower).
The meeting point for anything aviation happening at Biggin, and frequented by all. Biggin had become the home for civil aviation in 59 when Croydon closed, and apart from 'Surrey and Kent' (formerly Surrey flying club) was soon the base for over a dozen clubs/groups. 'Jock' started the 'Air Fairs' and Biggin was civil flying in the South East. Mary was a widow after her husband tried one loop to many in a Turbulent !!.
Treads do you still have an image of BTC at St Just in the 80's.
Not sure if that's the same cafe or not - one I recall in the 1970s was in the huts along edge of Fairflight/Surrey aviation and overlooking ramp with old tower and the bus on the far side - the "grandstand" building to the left and a knackered old hangar... bloke who is now a good mate apparently used to work in there during the hols and probably sold me my usual mars bar and can of Fanta, give me the enery to cycle back up the other side of the valley! I recall reading a snippet about the Turb losing a wing...

Air Britain host a pic of 'BTC at St Just https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1283402

Ah St Just and the Star - last time I was there was during the St Valentines Day storm in 2014 - eating a pasty in the lee of one of the pubs, not sure if it was Warrens or McFaddens, but I do recall the rain getting in through the windows of the Kings Arms... Much prefer the Star.