PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Warship: Tour of Duty
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2023, 08:52
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Underbolt
I know it's long after the event, but I've been trying to understand modern RN air ops and still have some questions that I hope those in the know might be able to answer...

Like many other viewers, one of the first things I noticed was the presence of a 'CAG', rather than Commander (Air) as previously.

- Is the name a very deliberate copy of the USN term, for ease of interoperability/common language? It's long been a misnomer there since Air Groups became Air Wings - do the RN also refer to Air Wings?
- As I understand it, in the USN the CAG used to be a Commander (O-5) reporting to the CO of the carrier up until the 1960s, when the role became a Captain (O-6) reporting to the CO of the Battle Group. Has the RN made an identical change, albeit one that that it wasn't deemed necessary to make onInvincible-class ships due to their size (or size of their battle group)?

Later on in the series we do encounter Commander (Air) though. Where does he fit in? Is the role now equivalent to the USN's Air Boss? Or, in very approximate RAF-speak, OC Ops Wing?
Commander (Air) responsible for aviation assets on the carrier, CAG responsible for aviation assets of the entire carrier Strike Group plus visitors.