PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-3
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2023, 09:24
pug

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyW
Ros Jones keeps bleating that the CPO would be for the land only, and apparently reading another forum, Peel do have plans to clear the hangars and terminal building. There seems to be a conflict of opinion of whether they need planning permission to do this - however given that the mayor keeps stating it will be for the land only means she is aware that the buildings won't be there much longer.

Also, Ros Jones has made no mention to the lease offer that Peel have made for a long time now - which tells you what you need to know,
They have tenants in the hangars so not sure why they would want to demolish those. The terminal could be repurposed. They also apparently have no current plans to remove the runway or hardstandings and have recently been renegotiating lease agreements with the landowners upon which the approach lights currently reside.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of Peel or their MO. However we do have to concede that they do get things built when they say they will (DSA would be a prison now where it not for their commitment), and I fully believe that they currently don’t really know what to do with the site. My view being that a reasonably successful airport would have provided sufficient ROI with regards to land value in the vicinity of the airport, but they just cannot attract the airline/freight business they wanted to attract to make it viable. Perhaps some of the more financially fruitful uses for Gateway East would not sit well near an active airport? Who knows, but if nobody wants to buy it for the right price, Peel are not going to sell it. Let’s face it, no airlines were beating a path to their door when it was open, so any attempts at growth in that sector would require a huge financial outlay from any would-be airport operator just to get them interested. It’s another thing ensuring that the seats get sold to sustain those flight and that there are enough passengers using the airport to generate revenue to cover the high and ever-increasing operating costs. DMBC of course should know all this if they have applied their own due diligence, which I suspect they have and may explain why there are no provisions in their budget for a CPO, not even the estimated £1.1million legal costs that Ros Jones shared in one of her updates late last year.